W. Woods Doster
W. Woods Doster ("Woods") was born in Charlotte, NC in 1950. He graduated from South Mecklenburg High School in 1968, and then attended the University of North Carolina. At UNC, Woods was a member of Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity, and worked as a reporter for The Daily TarHeel, UNC's daily student newspaper. He received his Bachelor's degree in Journalism in 1972.
Upon graduation from college, Woods began a career as a reporter for the Associated Press. He reported from bureaus in Raleigh, Charlotte and Atlanta. In 1973 Woods returned to UNC to enter law school, where he wrote his way onto the law review, and won the moot court competition. He received his Juris Doctor degree in 1976.
Following graduation from law school, Woods returned home to Charlotte, NC and entered practice with Cruciani and Falls, a bankruptcy firm. He married his wife, Kathryn Jones Doster from Greensboro, NC and when their first child was on the way, Woods and Kathryn decided that Charlotte was too large and they went looking for a smaller town.
They found that town in Sanford, NC, where Woods began practice on August 1, 1980, with the law firm of Staton, Gavin, Perkinson and West. Woods remains with the firm today, which is now known as Doster, Post, Foushee, Post & Patton, P.A.
Woods' specialty is wills, trusts, powers of attorney, and the process of management and transfer of wealth from one generation to the next. He also practices in the area of business planning and real estate.
"I enjoy helping my clients to set their goals, and then working with those clients within the framework of the law to achieve those goals," Woods said. "That might be deciding how to arrange their estates, or how best to structure the purchase of a business, or how to save taxes on the sale of a farm. Everything we do at this law firm is about service."
Woods is certified by the North Carolina State Bar as a Specialist in the area of Estate Planning and Probate. He welcomes new clients who want an attorney to help them work through their problems to achieve their objectives.
Woods and Kathryn have two children. Will is a counselor in Greensboro, NC at Fellowship Hall's three-quarter house and Jenny is an Associate Editor at Oxford University Press in New York, NY.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney
- Declarations of Incompetence
- Handling decedent's and incompetent's estates
- Buying and Selling businesses
- Buying and Selling real estate
- North Carolina, 1976
- United States Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1976
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, 1976
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina, 1983
- Juris Doctor, University of North Carolina, 1976
- Bachelor of Arts, University of North Carolina, 1972
HONORS, AWARDS & CERTIFICATIONS
- Board-certified Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate, 1995
- Chairman, Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Section, North Carolina Bar Association, 1989-90
- Editor, The Will and the Way, newsletter of the Estate Planning & Fiduciary Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association, 1986-88
- President, Lee County Bar Association, 1988
- Member, Board of Directors, East Central Community Legal Services Corp., 1987-88
- Chairman, Local Board, Wachovia Bank & Trust, 1992-93
- Member, St. Luke United Methodist Church
- Member, Sanford Rotary Club