Norman Charles Post III (Chas)
Norman Charles Post III "Chas" was born and raised in Sanford, NC and attended Lee County Senior High School from 1998-2002. After graduation Chas moved down east to attend the University of North Carolina at Wilmington where he was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity and obtained his B.A. in Political Science. Chas received his Juris Doctor from the Charlotte School of Law in 2009 after serving as a charter member of the inaugural law school class.
Chas obtained his license to practice law in the State of North Carolina in 2010, and began his legal career with the North Carolina DWI firm of Powers McCartan, PLLC in Charlotte, NC. During his tenure with Powers McCartan, PLLC, Chas concentrated his practice on DWI defense, traffic violations and criminal misdemeanors and gained significant and invaluable experience assisting in the defense of accused persons across North Carolina.
Chas is now a Partner with Doster, Post, Foushee, Post & Patton, P.A., and while he continues to focus his attention on Driving While Impaired (DWI) cases, his practice also includes zealous representation in serious felony matters such as Homicide, Drug Trafficking, Robberies, Sex Offenses and serious Assaults, as well as various criminal misdemeanors such as Larceny, Drug Possession, Domestic Violence, Underage Drinking and minor Assaults. Chas also handles all types of traffic offenses and continues to work diligently helping clients restore their NC driving privileges through License Restorations and DMV Hearings.
Chas prides himself on being a tenacious trial attorney who is not afraid to litigate the tough cases. He has tried hundreds of bench trials and argued hundreds of pre-trial motions; he has tried multiple Superior Court jury trials to jury verdict, ranging from serious class C felonies to misdemeanor appeals; and he is relentless when negotiating with the prosecution for a dismissal of his client’s cases or a reduced plea in cases where a trial is not in the best interest of his client.
For the past three years (2015 - 2017), Chas was one of only five North Carolina attorneys named by Super Lawyers magazine to “Super Lawyers Rising
Stars” in the area of Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI.
The “Super Lawyers Rising Stars” honor is limited to no more than 2.5% of lawyers within the State of North Carolina. Additionally, Chas has been selected by the National Trial Lawyers as a “Top 100 Trial Lawyer in NC” and “Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyer in North Carolina. Chas is a member of the National College for DUI Defense, a Founding Member of the American Association of Premier DUI Attorneys, and is a regular speaker and presenter at DWI and Criminal Defense continuing legal education seminars for the North Carolina Advocates for Justice. Additionally, in October of 2011, Chas received a Certificate of Training from Drugs & Alcohol Risk Management, Inc. for his participation in the 24-hour National Highway Traffic Safety Administration DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Program. This Certificate of Training requires the same training law enforcement officers undergo to learn to spot and arrest motorists suspected of driving while impaired.
Chas is married to his beautiful wife Kim who is a practicing attorney in Pinehurst, NC. They have one son, Chas’s pride and joy, Norman Charles Post IV “Charlie”. In his free time Chas enjoys going to the beach, boating, fishing, playing golf, politics, skeet/clay shooting, cheering on the Carolina Panthers and the New York Yankees and spending quality time with family and friends.
Areas of Practice:
- Driving While Impaired (DWI)
- Traffic Offenses
- Criminal Defense
- DMV Hearings and License Restorations
- 50B Domestic Violence Defense
- 50C No Contact Defense
- Accident and Injury
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- General Civil Litigation
- Collection Matters
- North Carolina, 2010
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, 2013
- University of North Carolina at Wilmington, Wilmington, NC, 2006 - B.A.
- Charlotte School of Law, Charlotte, NC, 2009 - J.D.
Honors, Awards & Certifications:
- NC Super Lawyers Rising Stars – Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI, 2015 - 2017
- "10 Best in Client Satisfaction in NC" – American Institute of DUI/DWI Attorneys, 2015 & 2016
- "Top 100 Trial Lawyers in NC" by the National Trial Lawyers, 2014-2017
- "Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyers in NC" by the National Trial Lawyers, 2014-2016
- Certificate of Training - NHTSA DWI Detection & Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Program (24-hours), 2011
- Trial Advocacy Honors Distinction, Charlotte School of Law, 2009
Classes & Seminars Taught:
- Caselaw Update on Blood & Breath Testing Issues
- Nuts & Bolts of DWI: Not Just for Beginners
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice (February 2017)
- Sentencing Issues in Superior Court
- Trying a DWI Case in Superior Court
North Carolina Advocates for Justice (February 2016)
- New Legislative Changes to NC DWI Law in 2013
2 nd Annual MASTERS OF DWI – Learn from NC's Most Experienced DWI Litigators
North Carolina Advocates for Justice (November 2013)
- Challenging PC: The basics to fighting probable cause to arrest for Impaired Driving
- BASICS OF DWI: Everything You Need to Know to Handle Your First Case and Get Better at Your Next
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice (February 2013)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Legislative Committee, 2015 – present
- Membership Committee, 2013 – present
- Criminal Law Section Member, 2010 – present
- North Carolina Bar Association
- National College for DUI Defense, Inc., General Member
- American Association of Premier DUI Attorneys, Founding Member
- Legal Aid of NC Local Advisory Board
- Board Member, 2012 & 2013
- Lee County Bar Association
- President, 2013 & 2014
- Vice President, 2012
- Sanford City Council
- At-Large Councilman, 2013 – present
- Sanford ABC Board
- Liaison to the City Council, 2014 – present
- Downtown Sanford, Inc.
- Liaison to the City Council, 2017 - present
Central Carolina Community College Foundation Board
- Vice President of Board Development, 2016 – present
- Board Member, 2014 – present
- Lee County YMCA Advisory Board
- Board Member, 2015 – present
- Major Gifts Co-Chair (Annual "We Build People" Campaign), 2016
- Capital Campaign Committee Member, 2016 - present
- The Mann Center of North Carolina
- Board Member, 2016 - present
Past Employment Positions:
- Powers McCartan, PLLC, Associate Attorney, 2010-2011